Repare

Reliable

Polite

On Time

Fixed Price

Top tips for dealing with wet power outlets

Wet power outlets

When water meets electricity, it’s crucial to act fast and safely, especially with wet power outlets. Our Logan electricians understand the urgency when electrical mishaps like this occur.

In this blog, discover what you can do to handle wet outlets safely to protect your property and loved ones.

Things you should do immediately if you have wet power outlets

In the event of wet power outlets, swift action is essential to minimise risks and ensure safety.

Our electricians recommend several preventive measures and immediate steps to address the situation:

1. Immediately cut off your power supply

Cutting off the power supply promptly involves shutting off the electricity flow to the affected outlets. This can prevent further electrical hazards or potential accidents.

2. Avoid touching or using a wet power outlet

Refraining from touching the outlet or using electrical appliances connected to it.

3. High voltage testing 

Our electricians use a high voltage detector to test outlets by first ensuring the power is switched off. Then, they place the meter’s probes into the outlet slots to measure any residual electrical currents, ensuring it’s safe for further actions or repairs.

If your home or business has been affected by water, book an appointment for an electrical inspection ASAP!

4. Contact a REPARE electrician immediately for professional assistance and guidance

In challenging situations involving wet power outlets, seeking expert assistance from a qualified electrician is paramount.

Our dedicated team of electricians possess the expertise and experience to address electrical issues promptly and effectively.

Whether it’s assessing the extent of water damage or conducting necessary repairs, we’re committed to protecting your property and safety.

What can cause wet power outlets?

Discovering the culprits behind wet power outlets is key to keeping your home safe from long-term electrical issues.

1. Unexpected floods

A sudden downpour floods your area, putting ground-level outlets at risk, especially in water-prone spots.

2. Burst pipes

When pipes burst, water can seep into walls and affect outlets located nearby, especially in crawl spaces.

3. Roof leaks

Even a small drip from a roof leak can trickle down walls, reaching power strips and creating risky wet outlets.

Understanding these scenarios empowers you to take proactive measures, safeguarding your property from water-related electrical issues.

Contact the experts at REPARE for advice in the event of an electrical issue caused by water damage.

What are the dangers of wet electrical outlets?

Water and electricity form a dangerous combination, posing serious risks when they meet. Whether it’s a simple spill or a major leak, wet electrical outlets can lead to serious consequences.

Electrical shocks

When water comes into contact with electrical outlets, it creates a pathway for electricity to flow through.

This elevates the risk of electric shocks to anyone coming into contact with the wet outlet or connected appliances.

TOP TIP: Avoid turning on light switches with wet hands!

If you have wet hands and turn on a light switch, you risk getting an electric shock due to the conductivity of water, potentially causing injury or even electrocution.

Electrical fires

Water-induced short circuits in outlets can cause them to overheat, potentially sparking electrical fires.

These fires have the potential to cause damage to your home or even pose a threat to individuals nearby.

Short circuits

Moisture infiltrating outlets can result in wire short circuits, causing power surges and potentially damaging connected devices or appliances.

In severe cases, this can also lead to electrical fires, posing a significant risk to your property.

Compromised internal wiring

Continued exposure to moisture can corrode internal wiring within the outlet. This weakens its structural integrity and increases the risk of electrical failure or malfunction.

This can result in power outages or further damage to electrical systems within your property.

Secondary damage

Beyond the immediate electrical hazards, wet outlets can trigger secondary damage, including the growth of mould.

Mould thrives in damp environments and can wreak havoc on indoor air quality, posing health risks to you and your family.

This secondary damage exacerbates the consequences of water infiltration into electrical systems. Uncovering these risks highlights the importance of taking immediate action! REPARE will address wet power outlets and mitigate potential hazards effectively.

how to deal with wet power outlets

Facing challenges with wet power outlets? Contact REPARE Electrical & Air Conditioning for expert assistance

Our skilled team is ready to address electrical issues promptly, ensuring the safety of your property. From assessing water damage to conducting repairs, we’ve got you covered.

For advice on wet electrical outlets or to book an electrical inspection, call our friendly team in Logan on (07) 3209 8006 or enquire online.

Book an experienced technician!

If you're in need of electrical repair or air conditioning installation and repair services, look no further than REPARE!

Recent Posts

Add your email to subscribe to our blog

Enquiry Form

Fill out the form below, and we will be in touch shortly.